SJFD confronts hazmat emergency

Shortly after 3:00 PM, Monday, August 14, 2006, units of the San José Fire Department responded to a hazardous materials incident at Maxim Integrated Products located at 3725 North First Street in North San Jose. First due Station 29 firefighters arrived to find one patient suffering from burns on his hands after a cylinder of the solvent xylene had begun off-gassing and ignited.

After meeting with company officials and consulting with Air Products, the supplier of the material, it was determined the best strategy would be to attempt to shut off the valve on the cylinder to completely mitigate any threat of additional fire or exposure.

Members of San José Fire's Hazardous Incident Team completed the procedure successfully and the incident was brought under control nearly four hours after the first units arrived. There were no other injuries reported.

Are you a member of the fire service? If you are interested in acquiring photos, please email me (craigallynrose@gmail.com) and let me know what you are interested in. It is my privilege to provide photography, at no charge, to the men and women that serve our communities. Thanks for visiting craig allyn rose photography.
08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street08.14.2006 - 3725 North First Street